Monday, November 28, 2005

Another Republican Bites the Dust

Representative Randy "Duke" Cunningham pleaded guilty to taking two million dollars in bribes in a criminal conspiracy today.
"After entering his plea in San Diego, California, the eight-term California Republican (surprise!) said he was 'deeply sorry.'" [source: CNN]
This guy actually put on a pretty good stunt:
"'the truth is I broke the law, concealed my conduct and disgraced my office,' he told reporters, his voice strained with emotion. 'I know I will forfeit my reputation, my worldly possessions -- most importantly the trust of my friends and family.'"
Maybe he should have is next career be in Hollywood. C'mon, since when has a politician, Republican or Democrat been "sorry" for breaking the law.

And speaking of breaking the law, isn't it funny that in the last couple of years, the great majority of high-ranked politeness accused and convicted of breaking the law have been Republican? Coincidence? I think not...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're leaving out a bit. It's not like they just forgave him for his "voice strained with emotion"

I quote "Cunningham received at least $2.4 million in bribes and will forfeit his $2.5 million mansion and about $1.8 million in cash, antiques, furnishings and other valuables.

The charges carry a potential penalty of 10 years in prison and up to $350,000 in fines. Sentencing is scheduled for February 27."

Whether faking or not, apologizing is not a crime.

8:09 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Delta said...

It seems to me that the government should punish these companies which bribed him as well. And if it's not illegal to bribe a public official, they should definitely make it well-known who these companies were. But the media has no interest in conveying messages which hurt businesses.

8:35 AM, November 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home