Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Recruiters On Campus

Every time the army recruiters come onto my high school campus, kids will bring picket signs to school and protest the recruiters on campus.

I think this is a) stupid, and b) pointless.

Last year the army fell short of its goal of 800,000 recruits by 6,627. [source] They army needs new recruits to help keep this country safe and free. If these kids are sucessful at driving the recruiters off campus (very unlikely) it would become even harder to the army to reach their recruiting goal. Besides, the school is recuired by law to allow recruiters to visit campus.

The recruiters aren't lying, they are just trying to show people the benefits of being in the army. Every person entering the army knows what they are getting into. The kids enlisting know that they are risking their lives, and have a possibility of dying or being terribly injured.

Don't get me wrong however, I am against the war in Iraq, but I think it is EXTREMELY important that we support our troops. The young men and women who risk thier lives to serve this country deserve much more respect than that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bobkul said...

My school has recruiters in every other week it seems and nobody has protested yet. I think it's probably because most people in California are Democrats and all of Washington except in the greater Seattle Metropolitan Area (King County) are Republicans (less than 5% of my High School are Democrats).

8:58 PM, October 26, 2005  
Blogger Pyro_Shark said...

The population of Washington as a whole is pretty liberal, I think. The bay area is VERY liberal, and unfortunately it brings out some of the crazy extreme leftists, just like the deep south brings out the wacko conservative fundamentalists.

9:09 PM, October 26, 2005  
Blogger vjack said...

My guess is that the issue isn't one of protesting the recruiters' actions per se. Instead, I suspect that the protests focus on whether it is appropriate to have the recruiters visiting public schools. Just a guess.

7:08 AM, October 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home